Teaching English in Vietnam give teachers the chance to enjoy the natural beauty of Vietnam’s vast coastal beaches, inland mountains and complex river systems, while experiencing a charming traditional culture that continues to evolve as the country opens itself up to the outside world.
Vietnam Quick Facts
- Population: 86 million
- Currency: Dong (VND); US Dollar is commonly used
- Capital: Hanoi
- Climate: Tropical
- Largest city: Hochiminh City
The Role of the Teacher in Vietnam
The teacher acts as a facilitator of students’ learning. As such, they have many roles to fulfill. Teachers are highly respected in Vietnam.
The English teacher is responsible for managing classroom activities in an effort to promote communication in English. The teacher will also work as an advisor, providing feedback on student questions and monitoring their performance.
Requirements to Teach English in Vietnam
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in any discipline
- You must be a native English speaker
- You must hold a passport from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom or the USA.
- TEFL/TESL certification from a 100 hour recognized program
- Certification is offered through the school.
- If you take their course and stay on for a year they will reimburse you for the cost of the course.
Basic Benefits of Teaching English in Vietnam
These are minimum standards of opportunities we represent in private language schools in Vietnam.
- Salary/month (minimum) - $1,200 – 2,000 USD/month
- Tax - salary is quoted after tax
- Overtime - depends on your contract
- Working Hours - 35 to 40 working hours per week
- Teaching Hours - 20 to 26 teaching hours per week
- Bonus - depends on contract;
- Visa is arranged and paid for those who teach more than 50 hrs / month
- Airfare - in most cases this is not covered;
- Housing - in most cases this is not covered in the city but we do have partners in provinces that provides furnished housing;
- Medical is covered to teacher who get the work permit and follow the Vietnamese regulations – other is cover by teacher, subsidy of600 USD annually for medical insurance.
- Vacation - approximately 4 weeks plus national holidays
* Terms and rate subject to change - contracts vary from school to school and benefits increase in accordance with qualifications and experience.